Co-Chairpersons: Jack Jackson; Laura Dooley
Judge: Chuck Pernaa
This competition is sanctioned by the Essex County Tree Farmers and the
Massachusetts Christmas Tree Association for the promotion of high quality, locally grown, natural Christmas Trees.
Entry Form Due Date: October 3rd, 2013
Rules and Regulations
- Trees are to be 6 to 8 feet high from the bottom of the handle to the tip of the leader. Trees will be supported on a base to be furnished by the Fair.
- Trees will be judged on the following:
- Trees must be exhibited in the name of the land owner or grower. All trees must be plantation grown in Massachusetts. Trees must be adequately tagged with the name and address of the exhibitor and class to be entered. If the exhibitor wishes to take the tree after the Fair, they should so state on the tag. Trees will be on exhibit from Friday, October 4th at 1:00 pm until Monday, October 14th at 10:00 pm.
- Exhibitors may enter any or all classes but submit only one entry in each class.
- After judging on Friday, October 4th, trees will be identified with the exhibitor's name and address.
- All trees must be submitted to the Topsfield Fair Christmas Tree Contest Committee between NOON and 8:00 pm Thursday, October 3rd, and 8:00 am and NOON Friday, October 4th.
- Send entry form to: Topsfield Fair
P.O. Box 134, Topsfield MA 01983
|Color||15||Normal for species|
|Taper||10||Spruce & fir 40-70%, Pine 40-90%|
|Density||20||Medium density scores higher|
|Naturalness||10||Not perfectly smooth outside surface|
|Defects||20||Straightness of stem, pest injury, holes, mechanical injury|
|Foliage||15||Fresh, clean, uniform|
|Handle||10||Well trimmed - 1" per foot of height|
|Cleanliness||10||No grass, leaves, etc.|
|Merchantability||10||How saleable is it|
Entry and Awards
AWARDS: FIRST $50.00 SECOND $40.00 THIRD $30.00 FOURTH $25.00
- Douglas Fir
- All Other Fir
- Blue Spruce
- All Other Spruce
- Scotch Pine
- All Other Pine
BEST OF SHOW - $50.00 and Engraved Bowl.